Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chanel cake #thebigfourzero

My mother turned #thebigfourzero last week and I wanted to do smth special for her. My first thoughts along with my aunts were to order an Hermes cake for her
.
.
.
.


but it was too rushed and nobody could do it within a week so I called up my dad's friend, Dawn. She's is a baking teacher and I met her in the Phillipines at a wedding and she is super nice! She heard me sing at the wedding and she complimented me and always made sure I wasn't hungry, haha. And so I called her up and asked if she could bake my mum a Hermes cake but she said it'll take eight hours and she could not commit so I was rather disappointed at first but she came up with the suggestion that I go over to her place and bake a cake for my mum myself. 

urm... I have baked cakes before but to bake smth unique and that has got to do with handling fondant and designs, hmm not my forte at all. I was like "I don't think I'll be able to do a good job..." but she said she'll guide me through the entire process and that I do not have to worry. So yeah I went down to her place on Friday for a crazy #bakefest!




Dawn was saying that Hermes is a really hard cake to bake and the easiest branded bag to bake was Chanel so I agreed because.. I mean.. who doesn't like Chanel? although I know my mum world prefer a Hermes but whatever that works lar seriously *.* so I came to a conclusion that I'll bake a small cake with ten cupcakes surrounding it.

The cake had four layers and the icing of the cake wasn't difficult. I think it looks great even before icing haha!





She taught me how to pipe these gorgeous cupcakes with a special piping tip! 




ok this was the crazy part, making a Chanel bag with fondant. I think I spent 45 mins making this "bag" and it gave me a crazy headache - especially the Chanel logo. I was super particular abt it because I didn't want my mother to say that I gave her a fake Chanel LOL and Dawn brought out her bag for reference!! Does it look similar? haha!




I chose two types of designs for my ten cupcakes. Five piped with butter cream, topped off with metal balls and another five with ribbons made out of fondant. I had the hardest time handling fondant seriously *cries* so I spent roughly six hours in the kitchen and even missed tuition just to complete the entire cake. I'm so sorry I couldn't take pictures of the entire process but yeah these are just a few...




This is the end product. I'm so glad I made this cake for my mum because she absolutely loved it. My whole family did and fondant cakes usually taste like crap but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A great shout out to Dawn for her guidance if she sees this, I am eternally grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment