Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Year 2016 in review

Happy New Year everyone! 

In a blink of an eye, yet another year has passed us by. Year 2016 was really amazing for me. It was a year of major changes, a challenge of strength, will and motivation. Nevertheless, I took everything with stride and still count myself blessed beyond compare. There were definitely more ups than downs this year and I truly appreciate the season of life I'm in right now. Everyday, I am still a work in progress and can only lean on His strength and grace to carry me through this walk in life. 

Highlights of 2016

1) Visiting Korea 



Being able to see Korea with Bernard was really exciting for me. Having been to the country before, I know that Bernard would love everything about Seoul as much as I do and that trip was perfect. Everything about it was perfect - the food, the weather, the people, the historical architecture, the cheap alcohol (:>) and basically being there together. That was my favourite part of it all. 

2) Successfully surprised Bernard with a trip to Montigo 



This was the biggest surprise I've ever pulled off over the 6 times I've celebrated his birthday for him, you can read the full post here : ) 

3) Hong Kong/Macau with the best travel companions



After our trip to Bangkok the year before, we knew we had to make another trip before the boys enlisted and it was a ton of fun. Booking this trip was really random though, I just casually mentioned that tickets to Hong Kong were really cheap and the next moment everyone was screaming over whatsapp "BOOK NOW BOOK NOW!!" and tadah ~ flight was confirmed 30 minutes later. Can't ask for more spontaneous and fun travelling partners!

3) Graduation!!




 wew, finally graduated from Diploma in June and moved on to the next phase in life! 

4) Got accepted into the University of Birmingham 


UB required an average result of B which I achieved on the dot but I had to go through a round of nerve wrecking Skype interview that turned out so well. I got accepted into my first choice university, doing the course I like and I can't be happier!! 

5) Bangkok, twice!




Bernard and I manage to squeeze in one last trip before he enlisted. It was super impromptu, arranging to meet my family there directly. 


Second time to Bangkok was with my family, just five of us. Really thankful for this trip because we haven't travelled together in 2 years! It was such an enjoyable trip, ending it off with a 3-hour drive to Khao Yai! 

6) Bernard's enlistment (insert heart-break emoji)


Day of enlistment ^ hahaha botak till no tmr! I think this was probably one of the saddest day of the year for the both of us. I know we sound like such emotional and immature babies but it wasn't easy. It also doesn't help that he was mono-intake and was posted to 3 Guards. 

"Omg, Guards good life" - SAID NO ONE EVER. 
Everyone had so many bad things to say about the Guards life. 


Second book-in!  


POP LO!!!! 


And just last December, he completed his Guards course and officially became a Guardsmen!! I can't be more proud of him. He truly transformed and took everything with pride and resilience. He definitely did his best in everything and seeing how favoured and well he has done made me realise how worth it it has been. 

Not forgetting losing all my other friends to the army as well: 


kind of late but happy POP boys x 

7) Taiwan for the first time




Took our virgin trip to Taiwan during the short five days block leave after Bernard POP. I love Taiwan so much! Everything was so enjoyable and way better than Hong Kong in all aspects. Promise to blog about this trip soon (once I'm done with all the Bangkok posts)! 

8) Teacher's day testimony 




This testimony sharing was rather impromptu but one of the most amazing things that happened in 2016. Returning back on stage after all these years gave me all the butterflies but it was such an experience. All the kind words I received made me feel immensely blessed and encouraged. Once again, thank you! 

9) Celebrated our 6th year anniversary 




We turned six!! It's been a pretty amazing ride, full of ups and downs but we have never been happier. It's weird how the army draws us closer and stronger than ever. I guess the quote "absence make the heart grow fonder" is legit and proven in this time apart. Six years together has definitely made us more in love so here's to the many more years to come!! 

10) #Vev21


I turned 21!!! Threw a glitzy gatsby party in commemoration of the coming of age ~ emergence into adulthood made me more excited than scared and i'm ready to see what life throws at me! 

As 2016 has come to a close, I just want to say how thankful I am for family and friends that have remained. 







Life is only as good as the people you get to share it with x 

-

In 2017, there are so many things I hope to achieve.

1) Lose weight - yes, I gained back almost all my weight I loss a year ago. 2016 was a year of good food and non-stop indulgence! I hope to lose at least 3kg before March and a total of 5kg before the year ends. Whoop leggo.

2) $AVE $MONEY$ - Having travelled over 15 times the past two years with my own hard earned money from working part-time, my savings has obviously been on the edge and I hope to change that this year. Savings motto: Save before spending. 

3) Focus more on school - no explanation needed for this. 

4) Find myself - I think one key thing I hope to achieve is to realise what I want for myself. I am 1.5 years away from graduation and it's truly scary because I still don't know exactly what I want to do in the future. This year, I will be starting my internship in March and I hope that through that experience, I will have a rough idea of what I want to do in the future?   

5) Work hard(er) on my relationship with Bernard - Truth be told, it's going to be a monotone year for the both of us. It's just going to be Uni x Army for the whole of 2017, not much to look forward to. We won't be able to travel as much and things are probably going to be tougher than 2016. I hope that we will continuously be able to put our differences aside and always choose love. 

 All in all, 2017 will be a year of endurance, and out of it I hope we will grow to be stronger, wiser and more successful. Here's to an amazing year ahead! 

-

Just a little announcement, I created a Food + Travel Guide on Instagram so show me some love by following me at - @thenoshadventures!



Thank you for a great year everyone! Cheers x 

1 comment: